Followers

Wednesday, 2 April 2014

Bank Vole

I went for my usual walk on the reserve this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised to find the place
almost deserted unlike the past few days when it was hard to find a seat in the hides. I sat in Heron
hide for about half an hour but saw nothing of interest so made my way back to Woodpecker hide.
Nothing much was happening in the way of bird life when I noticed this little fellow looking at me.

I had brief glimpses of it on previous occasions but too much activity had made it nervous and did not
hang around for too long. But today being nice and quiet he was happy for me to be so close.
My 500mm lens came into its own and I managed some good close-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mike Attwood - Photographer

About Me

My photo
Evacuated during the second world war to a village in Yorkshire where I lived in the home of a good photographer for more than five years who taught me the basics and a great deal about nature. Well past retirement age I have been a wildlife photographer for more than 30 years. Red Kites have been my speciality for much of this period. I did spend several years snapping wheelchair athletes and organizing the British Road Race Championship. In the year 2000 I was awarded a distinction by the Royal Photographic Society for my portfolio on wheelchair athletes. Most of my pics are digital, using Sony cameras and Sigma lenses. I used to spend many weeks each year with friends in Wales which is close to the Elan Valleys where I got many of my raptor pics. I now get these pictures more closely to home, specially red kites and peregrines. I support my pension by selling my pics, cards, coasters, fridge magnets and key rings etc. at craft fairs, something I wish I had done much earlier in life. I give illustrated talks to clubs and societies on wildlife and other branches of photography that I have been involved in.