Followers

Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Kingfishers

As you are aware I like my pictures to have some movement or a bit of action so as the common terns have now left for Africa I have turned my attention to the kingfishers. I have so far identified four different birds and  I am sure there are more.
 A small bird such as the kingfisher travelling at some 30 to 40 mph low over the water can be a bit tricky to photograph but my Alpha 77  seems to capture it well.
I got this one by holding the camera still and letting the bird fly across the frame. At 12 frames a second you are bound to get at least one decent shot.
This one I focussed on the water where I thought the kingfisher would dive and waited for him to perform. If you are quick enough you can get the moment he hits the water but I need a bit more practice for that.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bobs but I do get plenty of pratice.

      Delete
  2. It is tricky, but you manage these action shots brilliantly, and well done for identifying four kingfishers, not easy task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend a lot of time watching them and so get to recognise individuals.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mike.. great captures.. Love Kingfisher.. Cheers..

    ReplyDelete

Mike Attwood - Photographer

About Me

My photo
Evacuated during the second world war to a village in Yorkshire where I lived in the home of a good photographer for more than five years who taught me the basics and a great deal about nature. Well past retirement age I have been a wildlife photographer for more than 30 years. Red Kites have been my speciality for much of this period. I did spend several years snapping wheelchair athletes and organizing the British Road Race Championship. In the year 2000 I was awarded a distinction by the Royal Photographic Society for my portfolio on wheelchair athletes. Most of my pics are digital, using Sony cameras and Sigma lenses. I used to spend many weeks each year with friends in Wales which is close to the Elan Valleys where I got many of my raptor pics. I now get these pictures more closely to home, specially red kites and peregrines. I support my pension by selling my pics, cards, coasters, fridge magnets and key rings etc. at craft fairs, something I wish I had done much earlier in life. I give illustrated talks to clubs and societies on wildlife and other branches of photography that I have been involved in.