Followers

Saturday, 26 September 2015

Animals on my patch.

I was sitting in the car the other day watching some goldfinches when in my rear view mirror I saw what appeared to be a leaf blowing down the road. There was no wind and this leaf seemed to be travelling uphill. I forgot about the goldfinches and turned my camera onto this leaf. To my surprise it was a shrew, I have seen them before but never running down the middle of the road. It fell over once or twice and looked dazed. I can only imagine that it had been stunned in some way and wasn't sure what time of the day it was.

My new patch seems to be paying off. This evening I spent an hour looking around and sighted buzzard, barn owl, little owl none close enough for my camera. Out of the woods about 400metres away came this pair of  fallow deer.

I watched them for some minutes as they came closer. They appear to be mum and son. They soon spotted me and disappeared back into the woods.

6 comments:

  1. Nice pics Mike. Wonder what happened to the Shrew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, After about 15 minutes the shrew just wandered of into the hedgerow still looking drunk.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Mike!:) Something had frightened the shrew for sure, it was probably in shock,.. a good photo opportunity for you though, and so many other sightings as well.
    Your new surroundings are providing you and us with super captures. The fallow deer are lovely graceful creatures aren't they, and it must be wonderful to observe them in the wild, I can only see them in a nature reservation here, which reminds me I haven't been there for a while, must go back there one day.
    Warm Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonjia, The shrews head was wet as though it had been in a predators mouth. I know they are unpleasant tasting for some creatures (owls in particular) so perhaps it was his lucky day. Fallow deer can be any shade from very dark brown to white and this is the first time I've seen a white one in the wild. Hope you enjoyed the weekend
      Best regards.

      Delete
  3. Excellent series of pictures, very nice..

    sincerely ..

    ReplyDelete

Mike Attwood - Photographer

About Me

My photo
Evacuated during the second world war to a village in Yorkshire where I lived in the home of a good photographer for more than five years who taught me the basics and a great deal about nature. Well past retirement age I have been a wildlife photographer for more than 30 years. Red Kites have been my speciality for much of this period. I did spend several years snapping wheelchair athletes and organizing the British Road Race Championship. In the year 2000 I was awarded a distinction by the Royal Photographic Society for my portfolio on wheelchair athletes. Most of my pics are digital, using Sony cameras and Sigma lenses. I used to spend many weeks each year with friends in Wales which is close to the Elan Valleys where I got many of my raptor pics. I now get these pictures more closely to home, specially red kites and peregrines. I support my pension by selling my pics, cards, coasters, fridge magnets and key rings etc. at craft fairs, something I wish I had done much earlier in life. I give illustrated talks to clubs and societies on wildlife and other branches of photography that I have been involved in.