Followers

Saturday, 2 January 2016

Wild cats at play

 As a New Years Day treat I took Jacque to The British Wildlife Centre where she could sit with a cup of coffee while I had a wander round with my camera. It was a miserable day with rain in the air and very poor light. The animals were tucked up in their beds and only ventured out when food was around. After a short walk Jacque went back to the centre and with a cup of coffee and a book sat by the fire while my old friend Ted and I looked for something to photograph. The scottish wild cats were due to be fed and we found it was well worth the wait.
 These creatures are used to a bit of cold and damp and were quite active. Izzie, one of the keepers, threw the food to the cats which caused all sorts leaps and bounds trying to catch it before it hit the ground. Wild cats often catch birds in flight.
 This is a very laid back shot, but nevertheless asuccessful catch.
I wish the light had been better. Most of my shutter speeds were below 250th.
Beautiful creatures but totally untrainable. 
HOWZAT!! Wonderfull catch, should be playing for England.

6 comments:

  1. haha!!! Very cool pictures ..Best wishes for 2016

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mike!:) A belated Happy New Year to you and Jacque.These are spectacular shots of these wild cats, love that last shot!!
    Warm REgards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonjia,
      Nice to see you back, all OK I hope. I am getting ready for a move of home so my blogging has been a bit sparce for while. I hope to be back in full swing by the end of the month. Happy New Year
      Mike.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant action captures.
    Happy New Year Mike.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou John, I shall try it again when the light is better.
    Happy New Year to you both.

    ReplyDelete

Mike Attwood - Photographer

About Me

My photo
Evacuated during the second world war to a village in Yorkshire where I lived in the home of a good photographer for more than five years who taught me the basics and a great deal about nature. Well past retirement age I have been a wildlife photographer for more than 30 years. Red Kites have been my speciality for much of this period. I did spend several years snapping wheelchair athletes and organizing the British Road Race Championship. In the year 2000 I was awarded a distinction by the Royal Photographic Society for my portfolio on wheelchair athletes. Most of my pics are digital, using Sony cameras and Sigma lenses. I used to spend many weeks each year with friends in Wales which is close to the Elan Valleys where I got many of my raptor pics. I now get these pictures more closely to home, specially red kites and peregrines. I support my pension by selling my pics, cards, coasters, fridge magnets and key rings etc. at craft fairs, something I wish I had done much earlier in life. I give illustrated talks to clubs and societies on wildlife and other branches of photography that I have been involved in.