Followers

Monday 6 May 2024

Foxes of my garden

Foxes love my garden. They visit every night for their supper.
Then they play or lay on the grass and relax.


They have friends who happily join them for a snack.
Always look up to the window to see if I'm watching.

 I've learned a lot about foxes during my life, They are not sly but clever and knowledgeable. many years ago they lived with humans like a dog. This is why they adapt quickly to the living alongside humans. They wait in the garden at night and when I turn my room light on they run up to my window for their supper.  I met a man many years ago who lived with foxes and he gave a talk to members of the photographic club and one of his foxes came along too. It was quite happy with all the people around it and behaved just like a dog. I visited his home later and his foxes were out playing in the woods. A neighbour told me that the foxes were no problem at all. They lived locally as wild creatures.


4 comments:

  1. Foxes have been much maligned and subjected to that dreadful hunt, of course. I am very encouraged that they have learned to trust you, Mike, and to know that your garden is safe haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou David, It is difficult for the average person to understand. That we are responsible for the way wild animals behave. We made enemies of these creatures centuries ago by killing them and using them for food. I believe we can reverse this thought by treating them well. My foxes not only respond to me but are beginning to enjoy my neighbours as well.
      Take care.
      Mike.

      Delete
  2. Dear Mike :=)
    What a great pleasure it is to see these fabulous photos of the foxes that have learnt to trust you and eat the biscuits you provide for them every evening.They even allow another wild animal to join them, and it's lovely to see. They are a photogenic creature, with a beautiful face, and it's dreadful that they have been persecuted over the years. I feel the same way about the Jays that visit me. They are so afraid of humans for the same reason, hunted and killed for those lovely blue feathers they have.Thank you for the story about the man who also loved foxes, and for this delightful post.
    My best wishes
    Take care
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sonjia for those kind words. I have found this trust in other creatures as well which gives me a lot of respect for them.
      Take care.
      Mike.

      Delete

Mike Attwood - Photographer

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Evacuated during the second world war to a village in Yorkshire where I lived in the home of a good photographer for more than five years who taught me the basics and a great deal about nature. Well past retirement age I have been a wildlife photographer for more than 30 years. Red Kites have been my speciality for much of this period. I did spend several years snapping wheelchair athletes and organizing the British Road Race Championship. In the year 2000 I was awarded a distinction by the Royal Photographic Society for my portfolio on wheelchair athletes. Most of my pics are digital, using Sony cameras and Sigma lenses. I used to spend many weeks each year with friends in Wales which is close to the Elan Valleys where I got many of my raptor pics. I now get these pictures more closely to home, specially red kites and peregrines. I support my pension by selling my pics, cards, coasters, fridge magnets and key rings etc. at craft fairs, something I wish I had done much earlier in life. I give illustrated talks to clubs and societies on wildlife and other branches of photography that I have been involved in.