Followers

Friday 24 April 2020

My new project

 With this virus lockdown I had to find myself something to do. So I dug out my old infra-red camera's and set them up in my garden to see what went on after dark. I've had creatures in my garden before a man with a strimmer in the house next door put paid to that many months ago when I discovered mutilated remains in the garden. Just lately I had noticed activity and put tit-bits out and I started getting results. The foxes and hedgehogs seem to get on well with each other and have been known to share the same plate.
 There are three foxes, two adults and one youngster. I knew of a hedgehog that had been seen locally but to my surprise this family turned up last night  and spent several hours in the garden sharing it with the foxes.
So today it was decided that a corner would be allocated to the hogs for their own home. I hope they like it.

4 comments:

  1. The hog box is a great idea Mike. If that works out it would be super.

    garden machinery is a real problem. Rarely a day goes by around here without someone, drilling, sanding, strimming or chain sawing. Oh for a few power cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil,
      I used to have one that would take mealworms out of my hand. These will tolerate me very close arrive soon after dark.
      Stay safe. Mike.

      Delete
  2. .
    Hi Mike
    Super idea, will have a go at making one myself, so good to see the Hedgehogs, they certainly are not around as much as in previous years.
    Stay safe and well,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John, They havn't moved in yet but I don't think it will be long. Stay safe, Mike.

    ReplyDelete

Mike Attwood - Photographer

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Evacuated during the second world war to a village in Yorkshire where I lived in the home of a good photographer for more than five years who taught me the basics and a great deal about nature. Well past retirement age I have been a wildlife photographer for more than 30 years. Red Kites have been my speciality for much of this period. I did spend several years snapping wheelchair athletes and organizing the British Road Race Championship. In the year 2000 I was awarded a distinction by the Royal Photographic Society for my portfolio on wheelchair athletes. Most of my pics are digital, using Sony cameras and Sigma lenses. I used to spend many weeks each year with friends in Wales which is close to the Elan Valleys where I got many of my raptor pics. I now get these pictures more closely to home, specially red kites and peregrines. I support my pension by selling my pics, cards, coasters, fridge magnets and key rings etc. at craft fairs, something I wish I had done much earlier in life. I give illustrated talks to clubs and societies on wildlife and other branches of photography that I have been involved in.